If you've looked for a job at all in the last few years, you know that the recruiting landscape has changed dramatically. Many people still underestimate the role of social media in their job search though. If you don't have a clean, professional and value-based presence online, it will affect your job search results.
According to research done by JobVite in 2016, over 90% of employers now use social media in some way to screen job candidates before hiring them. This number has increased dramatically in the last ten years. In addition to viewing your profiles, they are also doing basic online searches to see what kind of results your name produces.
Let's take a look at some recent research and see exactly how deeply social media is integrated into your job search.
Social Media Recruiting By The Numbers...
- 87% of recruiters use LinkedIn
- 55% of recruiters use Facebook
- 92% of recruiters are using social media to screen candidates
- 76% of employers have overlooked a candidate due to their outdated or unprofessional email address
- 83% of cover letters never get read